PILOT LIGHT WONT STAY LIT THEREFORE NO HEATING!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help no heating and it is xmas.My pilot light was out this morning and I can relight it, but as soon as I release push button(after holding in for at least 1 min) pilot light goes straight out. Any ideas would be very gratefull.

ps my heating system is gas warm air McClary type.

Sponsored Links
I arrived back to my flat today and found the same problem :(.

I found this site and your thread so have been keeping an eye on it in hope.

However, i have solved my problem. Not sure what the chances of yours being the same are but:

Have you tried holding the button down for longer.. i.e. 5-10 minutes. I tried all afternoon at 1-2 mins but with no luck but a longer push did the trick (and has done in the past according to my girlfriend, now she tells me!).

Hope you sort it out one way or another.

Thanks for your ideas jonny but still no luck.Told it may be my Thermocouple??? anyone have any more ideas?

I don't think you need any more ideas, it's the thermocouples job to keep the valve open.
The capsule contains a liquid that expands when heated and this expansion is transferred through the copper tube it to the valve where it holds it in the open position.
The thermocouple may need replacing or the capsule may not be positioned in the flames of the pilot.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
That is NOT a thermocouple Mandate is describing, though a thermocouple is what you two guys almost certainly need.

They work because in the thermocouple tip is a junction between dissimilar metals. When it's heated it generates an electric current, which is used with a small electromagnet to HOLD a gas valve open. The initial opening has to be done by your finger. Make sure the button is fully pushed in. As long as the tc tip is in the flame, yo shouldn't have to hold it for more than about 10 seconds after ignition.

Changing one is arguably a corgi-only job, but B&Q etc sell them with no such instruction

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back