Pinholes in Copper Hot Water Cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently found out that a leak coming from my cylinder, is infact NOT from the pipe, but from the cylinder itself.
I cleaned up the area last night and noticed several pin holes from which the leak/s are occuring. Very tiny.
I tried Plumbers Mait (the epoxy putty which sets hard) and managed to stop one, but not so successful on the other two/three.

Does anyone know or have experience of the possiblity this could be repaired? I have just purchased the flat and the prospective £500 bill is a bit frightening at the moment.

Alternatively, if i purchased just the cylinder itself, how easy might this be to fit? - i have a friend who is very handy with this sort of thing.

It is an Economy 7 direct Combination cylinder.
Our plumber mentioned 'Fortic' - what does this mean?

Many thanks for any advice, most grateful x

Sponsored Links
Never heard of an “economy 7 direct combination boiler” If £500 repair bill sounds scary, bear in mind that the neighbours will sue you for a lot more if your diy job causes their flat to flood. £500 sounds a bit much though, you should get a decent job done for somewhere between 3 and 400. Don’t wait too long if you have several holes in the cylinder; it could well be that it is about to pop completely. Nothing that I have heard of will repair the leaks reliably

in olden days we use to use copper technic rods and braze over the holes for a temp repair but easier to fit new HWC Part L compliant ( thicker bottom on the cylinder) so less likely to pinhole. The base is the usual place for leaks

Your copper has become porous and there's no real cure. I had these once. I tried paint. I tried glue. I drained the tank and tried solder. Every time I sealed one another appeared. I scrapped the tank.

Replacing a cylinder is easy if the connectors match exactly - and that's a very big if. They won't but the job will be easier if you have lots of room around the cylinder and enough pipe to pull into alignment. That's another big if. Emptying the old one will be a whole lot easier if you have a drain cock in the cold feed. (Did somebody say something?)

Sponsored Links
Don't delay the replacement!

If a cylinder is pinholed there's a good chance that the metal is VERY thin over a large area. If it splits, the whole area will get very wet very fast. Remember you have not only the whole volume of the cylinder. Add a cold storage tank full on top of that AND a ballvalve on a mains-pressure supply trying to refill the cold tank.

some bargain cylinders to be had on ebay.

but buy a modern one a couple of years old.

Check your mains water stop tap in the flat works ASAP. If the cylinder "pops" you will need to turn it off.

You will also need to turn off the water if you intend to replace the cylinder.

Ok folks, you made up my mind, many thanks.
Managed to find someone to do it for 430 incl. vat, early part of next week, so hopefully it will hold out until then.

Thanks for all your replies, very helpful indeed.
Best wishes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back