Pipe Bending

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All

Further to a previous post, I need to run a 22mm pipe from my cellar to my bathroom with a very twisty route. I originally planned on using plastic pipe and fittings but have been reading about 90 deg elbows reducing flow so am thinking about using copper pipe and hiring a stand mounted pipe bender.

First question, is the effect of using elbows that noticable? In about a 12m run I would need to use 7 elbows.

Secondly, if I hire a pipe bender, are these easy to use? Some of the bends will be quite difficult to form, including bending a pipe in two places in two different directions.

Grateful for any input.

Alan

Sponsored Links
Ok, if you hire a stand bender, can I bring the camera round, we'll make a fortune on candid camera :LOL:

A stand bender is not the right tool, especially in the hands of a DIYer, a normal hand bender will be much better and a lot easier to use.

You don't say what will be in the pipe.

Alan,

Using a pipe bender can be quite tricky at first until you get used to it and you would probalby waste quite a bit of copper before you got the hang of it.

Also if you run is 12m and very twisty you wont be able to have long runs of copper and would probably end up using lots of straight connectors and elbows anyway.

You can get cold forming bends for plastic pipe which would give you the same effect as a pulled bend in copper.

Where abouts in cheshire are you.

Rico

Folks, thanks for the very quick replies.

Rico, in Sale so just Cheshire. Why, do you fancy doing it for free? :D

How do the cold forming bends work? I've looked at a few pics and they seem to be like a version of the thing used to change direction in a washing machine pipe? Is there more than that to it? Is there any special equipment needed?

Can you change direction more than once on a length of pipe? I need to do one ninety degree bend along a horizontal plane, and then turn the pipe upwards.

(If I do hire a pipe bender I'll set up the video camera :LOL: )

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Exactly the same as a washing machine thingy, they just clip over the pipe and holds the bend.

Yes you can make as many bends as you like. :LOL:

Still didn't say what the pipe will be used for.

Bear in mind that the tightest radius you will get in a 22mm pipe with a bender is 80mm. Will this be tight enough to accommodate your tortuous route. Why not make life easy for yourself: use a bender where there's plenty of leeway and elbows for the tighter sections. After all they aren't that restrictive - think how many there are in the average central heating system. The radiators still get hot.

Thanks again folks. Sorry, forgot to say again it's to run a cold water pipe to the bathroom and is in 22mm as we've just had a new 25mm MDPE supply pipe put in are running the 22 to feed the bathroom and then the kitchen.

We're doing this to try and overcome the poor water pressure we had before from the old lead pipe and don't want to undo this by losing pressure/flow at the elbows.

Thanks again

In that case I would use copper and bends (fittings) the effect will be like adding an extra metre of pipe.

doitall

Thanks, when you says copper and bends (fittings) do you mean using copper pipe bent where necessary of using elbow fittings. Sorry, just a bit confused.

Thanks.

I mean forget the bender and use fittings.

And don't forget lots of brackets.

Edit, When I said bends, Yorkshire and some other better manufacturers, sell bends and elbows, a bend being a longer radius.

A Yorkshire YP 12 is an elbow, whereas a YP18 is a slow bend.

You would need to go to a proper plumbers merchant such as BSS, Pipeline etc.

Alan,

lol, not syaing I would do it for free, but my parents live in Sale so I could pop in and take a look at what you're planning.

Rico

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back