Pipe lagging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My father's new house has an internal cupboard containing the rising main, stop cock and water meter. There is loads of condensation on the pipes, which has been going on for so long that the fllorboards are wet. There is foam pipe lagging but it's not been zip tied and there are sharp bends in the pipes.

Simple question - would I be better off fitting foam lagging, or using the wraparound type because of the sharp bends? If the latter, should I use the old wool type, or is the Superfoil bubble wrap type stuff better?

Sponsored Links
Is there any heat source in there or a leak somewhere causing the condensation? Perhaps a trickling toilet? I think you can purchase bends for foam, or make your own: https://www.skil.co.uk/step-by-step/how-to-insulate-pipes.html or use the wrap around stuff.
The cupboard is small and at floor level; it houses the above and incoming gas. So it's always cold in there because the doors are shut and there are openings to the under floor void. And the water pipes contain cold water straight out of the ground. The water meter seals have been replaced and the stop cock is not leaking. In any case the pipes *above* any possible leak are wet.

There is a bathroom on the other side of the wall, where the pipes go into a boiler in a cupboard immediately behind the problem area, so that is worth checking for leaks as well. But I think water would still need to be running uphill, which it doesn't

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back