PIR in addition to switches for external lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Three external lights, it could be just one for the sake of argument.
Three doors with one switch by each door to switch all three lights at the same time.
Supply from the porch rose to the first light.
Twin and earth from the first light to the first switch, three core and earth from the first switch to the second and third switches.
Middle switch has four terminals(L1, L1, L2, L2), end ones have three (com, L1, L2).

http://www.lightwiring.co.uk/wp-con...switch-wiring-diagram-new-colours-590x679.jpg

Want to add a PIR sensor to this circuit to trigger the lights when walking to the property.
The wiring diagrams of PIR sensors I have read are like a rose configuration, L, N, E and SL.
So where does the PIR go in the circuit, as one of the end switches by virtue of the terminals available? i.e. three not four.
To wire the PIR, N equates to com, Live is L1 and SL is L2?

Sponsored Links
No. Neutrals do not go to light switch terminals. Because there's a black/blue there doesn't mean it's a neutral.

Do you want the switch to override the lights or just be able to turn them off entirely from the switch?

The PIR requires a neutral, therefore it can only be connected where a neutral is available.

In your case, the only place it can be connected is at the first light - equivalent to the ceiling rose in the diagram.

In your case, the only place it can be connected is at the first light - equivalent to the ceiling rose in the diagram.

I see, so the PIR is in parallel with the three switches?

Do you want the switch to override the lights or just be able to turn them off entirely from the switch?

To override the PIR. E.G. I walk to the property, the PIR switches the lights on, open the door and turn the nearest switch on to keep the lights on rather than timed from the PIR.

Sponsored Links
Amazing how some people can see, for years, others using quoting, but cannot be bothered to even try it themselves.

To override the PIR. E.G. I walk to the property, the PIR switches the lights on, open the door and turn the nearest switch on to keep the lights on rather than timed from the PIR.
Then you will need a 3-core and earth to your light fitting. This will need to contain a Live, Switched Live and Neutral. If the neutral is coming from elsewhere (not in the back of the switch box) you'll just need a Twin and Earth to the switch, and a twin and earth from wherever the neutral is coming from.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back