PIR lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wired up a pir and halogen on my house. It works fine.
I added a cable and a switch so the halogen could be turned on and off independendtly of the PIR.
The switch is one of a gang of three in the lobby by the main door, the other two are for a lobby light and another std external light.

I wired the halogen to the switch using two core and also took a wire from the power feed of one of the adjacent switches and wired it to one side of the switch for the PIR light to give it live feed.
The halogen works on the switch independently of the PIR.
But now and again when I have had the halogen on with the switch and then I turn it off, the action of turning it off triggers the halogen to come on via the PIR timer, it stays on for the time set by the PIR timer then it goes off.

I am not sure if this wiring is sensible and how to prevent the occassional turning on of the halogen.
Is it the arcing of the switch and so would a 0.1 uF capacitor prevent arcing?

Sponsored Links
it is probably picking up a mains spike

you could try a capaciitor

however

2 things 2 note

if pir feed is via an fcu on ring cct, its not a good idea to have it in the same switch (you may turn light mcb off but this light will still be live)

you can get a light / pir that does what you want for you.

you momnetarily switch mains off then back on within 10 seconds, pir then stays on

Thank you.
Over a cup of coffee I had a look at it.
I think what I have done is a load of ******.

I need a live feed to the halogen then to put the switch in that circuit.

There is a two core wire from the lobby light to the halogen but not connected.
So I'll put in a junction box by the halogen and put the mains feed from the lobby light to it and wire the switch into it.
I can only get two cables into the halogen, one is from the PIR the other is from the switch.

I have it sussed now.

A problem shared is a problem halved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back