PIR lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A customer has some old unmarked (1980's?) PIR detectors that operate "security" lights outside and has wired indoors an override switch that will both override the sensor as an on/off switch and can also alter the photocell sensitivity. Customer looking for me to replace like with like.

I've not seen anything similar - anyone any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Had thought the PIR's were mains but now you've got me thinking about it the cables from the external PIR's to internal override switches looked far more like ELV alarm cable - or 6 core telephone cable. I really should have engaged brain before leaving site!

would this be a cream coloured control box, with a slider on one side and a small rocker swicth

a bit like

DSCN0948.jpg

Sponsored Links
Spot on breezer - didnt see you taking photo's over my shoulder!

never seen one :LOL:

its called a racalite, went obsolete years ago.

it has external pirs that wire to that controller, yes the pirs are 12v

the controller then swithes the lights (mains)

if you want to replace it most people opt for the GJD kit

its similar in principal, but can have a novel feature in that if you opt for the bigger controler it will say which pir tripped.

it can also "chime" to say a pir has detected some one

i googled and found this supplier but bear in mind other suppliers are available

the gjd sytem has been around for a few years so it looks good kit

it has a controller and a "display"

but the one your client has is all in one, becuse thats how they were then, so you will need to do some slight alterations

good luck

Thanks Breezer - very useful and helpful.

Time for some more research and talks with client - I'm minded to go down the wireless route if possible at least it gets rid of nasty little bits of phone cable tacked around the place.

no dont go wireless, needs batteries = PITA when you get called out to change them, then it rains

GJD is good kit, and I'd go with a wired system any day of the week.

Many thanks lads. GJD it is - time for a bit of research on prices - will talk client out of wireless - he seemed keen last time we spoke.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back