Planning officer came round today...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we are 3 weeks in to our full planning application for a single storey rear and side (wrap round) extension.

She asked if we are getting rid of the conservatory (which we are), and said "i assume the log cabin is going" - to which i said no, i've only just put it up. It is 3m x 3m and under 2.5m high so does not need planning for the log cabin.

She seemed to be a bit concerned when i said no i am not taking it down, and i asked her if she poses a problem, to which she replied "it may do, but for now i am focusing on the house"

How can the log cabin in my garden effect the planning for our extension?

I'm worried now, will our planning get rejected? I need the log cabin as it is my place of work

thanks

Sponsored Links
How big is the garden now and how much of it will be left after the extension is built?
They may not be happy if you are building on almost all of it.

How big is the garden now and how much of it will be left after the extension is built?
They may not be happy if you are building on almost all of it.

The extension footprint is taking up 30, Square metres of which 6 square metres currently a conservatory (which will be removed before extension starts) . . The remainder of the garden will be 35 square metres.

Does that 'remainder' include the 9 sq m taken up by the log cabin? If it does then they'll be concerned about overdevelopment (if you have a look at the PD requirements for outbuildings, there needs to be 50% of the ORIGINAL garden remaining after you construct an outbuilding for it to be PD.

Your 'original' garden is 65 sq m? Halve that, you end up with 32.5 sq m of garden that must remain as garden for your cabin to be PD. You may have to make a choice between extension and cabin.....

Sponsored Links
Does that 'remainder' include the 9 sq m taken up by the log cabin? If it does then they'll be concerned about overdevelopment (if you have a look at the PD requirements for outbuildings, there needs to be 50% of the ORIGINAL garden remaining after you construct an outbuilding for it to be PD.

Your 'original' garden is 65 sq m? Halve that, you end up with 32.5 sq m of garden that must remain as garden for your cabin to be PD. You may have to make a choice between extension and cabin.....
50% of all the curtilage land around and belonging to the house, not just the back garden.

A bit off track with this but I have been asked by planners to obtain a Bio-Diversity Checklist before a decision can be made on my planning application.

Anyone know what this is, what it entails and approx. costs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back