Planning Permission for a Cesspit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install a cesspit for the waste from touring caravans on my paddock. Local planners are insisting that it is classed as: " operational development under the class of engineering operations" and require full planning permission and a fee of £195 with appropriate plans and supporting information :( . The site is behind our barn and cannot be seen by anyone at all. I cant find a definition of operational development under the class of engineering operations so don't know how to challenge the ruling. After all the local authority don't provide mains drainage where we live (rural) so why increase our financial pain! Anyone know if there are ways round this? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
It's not just a case of digging a hole in the ground and throwing all your **** in it; this isn't the 1800s where emptying buckets of cack into the street was the norm.. You have a social responsibility to ensure that your pollution of the land is not going to impact someone else and the effluent is going to be dealt with appropriately. £195 is going to be the least of the worries I dare say..

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061030094452AAwEha7

Typical farmer turned caravan site owner.

You can just see the advert now...."excellent facilities, showers available, hook-up, ladies, gents separate facilities, blah blah blah..."

There will be a cold tap, a his and hers fence panel screened off shoite pit and 10 way extension lead that will just about operate a 10 watt bulb. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
I am very surprised that you think you can get away with a cess pit instead of a septic tank.

Tony1851
Thank you for your helpful comments

JohnD
The caravan waste has dangerous chemicals including formaldehyde which unfortunately cannot be treated in a Septic Tank, if it could I would be using our own S T. Unfortunately we are off-mains so no choice :(

Nosall
Sad that you have to make such unhelpful and inappropriate comments when you have no idea who I am or my circumstances. Good job most others are not as quick to jump to conclusions as you. Having been a Caravan Club member for many years I thought I would make use of my land to share the beautiful location with other like-minded people. I am not a Farmer I am retired, have no source of income and am hoping to supplement a small pension to make ends meet; consequently every penny is needed and any money spent on PP and drawings will simply delay the project. Your idea for a 10 way extension lead by the way is an extravagance I can only have 5 vans!

cjard
I am well aware of my responsibilty to protect the environment; it is for that very reason I made enquiries of my LPA. You may well be right though, the cost of adding power (16Amp) is going to rival the Cesspit and may have to be put on the back-burner until I can afford it.

If you are chuntering about forking out a paltry £195 at this stage then Lord help you.

Have you thought this through?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back