Planning permission for a wooden gezebo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My girlfriends brother has built a wooden gezebo type thing for his hot tub in the garden. It hasnt got any sides on it, just a roof. The day after he had finished it he had the planning dept knocking on his door asking if he had planning permission for it (someone had obviously complained about it). He hadnt so the council bloke took some pics of his garden & went away. Girlfriends brother had a letter today saying he has got 28 days to get planning permision, plus he has a 10' x 10' shed which is about 5 years old & the letter says he also needs planning for it. Is this a wind up or does everyone bother to get planning for putting up sheds & fences in your back garden.

Sponsored Links
Is he in a conservation area or area of natural or historic interest? if not it sounds lieka wind up; unless we really are in 1984!

why not call your local bco and ask? (sure of getting the right info)

i can see it now...................................

"...........and Mr BCO Man you are wrong, my gazebo does not need planning permission, some one i dont know on diynot said so"

Not living in a conservation area. Looking on the South Glos website, it says you dont need planning for a shed etc, but the girlfriends dad went to the planning office today & they said you do. The website has information covering a broad area & then they look at your individual case. That means that every house around our area would probably need planning for sheds & greenhouses etc. They say you have to submit the drawings & then they will decide if you need planning or not. Seems crazy to me!!

Sponsored Links
Fingers crossed this white paper on reforming the planning process gets passed asap.
Pete

breezer said:
.....and Mr BCO Man you are wrong, my gazebo does not need planning permission, some one i dont know on diynot said so"

I didn't say exactly say that; it's right to check but surely with planning, not BCO!

Sounds like we might be in 1984, bring on the white paper then.

Yes, gazebos and sheds may require planning permission if they exceed certain sizes, or are located withing certain distances of the main house or boundaries.

From a planning point of view, they are treated as extensions.

But, there may be 'permitted development' rights, in which case no formal permission is required. Ask the planner if these are permitted development - may well be, if no other extensions have been built.

With regards to the shed, then if it has been there more than four years, then no enforcement action can be taken. So obviously, this was built before May 2003 ;)

With regards to the gazebo, I would be inclined to take the roof timbers off, invite the planner back (or send him some pictures) and ask him to confirm it is no longer a gazebo.

Then put them back on.

Then if another letter is sent, take them off again ... etc, etc

I am curious how a planner can ask if the guy had planning permission - surely he should know? Or should have said, "Yes thanks. Bye now, have a nice day"

Something to consider is that the LA should/can only take enforcement action if it is in the 'public good'. Action will cost them a lot of money, and time to deal with, and should only be done as a last resort if the 'development' is significantly affecting the amenity of neighbours, or the wider public.

I would stretch it out and see what develops. After all, a few months down the line after lots of letters and jobs-worth action, all that needs to be done at the last minute, is to take the timbers off so that it is no longer a gazebo.

Then put them back on again after a while . lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back