Planning to build detatched workshop/garage/carport

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I've just signed up here to get some advice on applying for building regulations etc for a new project I want to go ahead with.

I've just bought my first house which has plenty of outside space as well as a 22' X 13' detatched garage. The garage itself needs re-wiring, a new roof and new floor etc and to be honest, it's not big enough for what I want to use it for.

So I've drawn up this design (picture attached) to have built in the space between the boundry and the current garage, and once it's built, I will move my stuff over and knock down the current garage.

Buying the house was a bit of a steep learning curve and I don't expect this next stage to be a walk in the park but I'm just looking for a bit of advice on the following:

I've been advised not to worry about building regulations and just go ahead - I'm assuming that this is not such a good idea?

I'm aware of the rules for permitted development such as not to be built forward of the principle front elevation, the height of the eaves and the overall height, no more than 50% of outside space covered etc. I can stay within all of these restrictions except for the fact that my total floor area will be greater than 30 square metres, and will actually be closer to 50. The construction will be as pictured except for the fact that there will be 3 or 4 layers of bricks before the timber is used.

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

D3Kdjgx_zps69cd22be.jpg

This is the space I want to use as well as the current garage:

spaceforgarage_zps69e986e0.jpg

Sponsored Links
Bulding Regulations will apply as it's over 30 sq. m.
Can you have them as separate structures, separated by an inch or so? No regs would then apply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back