Plaster, Paint and Cracks,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys and Gals,

Bit of advice if you could.

Over the last six months i have been looking at a crack in my bathroom ceiling. I replastered the whole lot about three months ago but, the plaster started to "bubble" a few weeks ago.

I have taken the newly applied plaster off and took the advice from elsewhere on this forum and filled my hairline crack with some caulk so i don't have to replaster again.

However, when i attempted to apply Polycell crack free paint yesterday (to the old plaster) it immediately stuck to the old plaster and within seconds peeled away whilst i was using the roller. It was like peeling away a separate piece of paper from the ceiling ie. it didn't adhere at all.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I usually do things myself by more often than not it ends up taking 6 times as long and costs 3 times more than calling someone in. Why i bother i do not know!!!!

Cheers all

Sponsored Links
Just a thought - did your caulk contain silicone? (Caulk containing silicone can't be overpainted.)

The reason it flaked off is probably because its far too thick to be applied over a porous surface..(filler) try thinning it out a fair bit irst of give it a coat over ordinary emulsion..(thinned by about 20%)

Doubtful that the combination of the two will solve your problems though

Caulk wont hold a ceiling together..if its a bad crack and deep you need to find out whats causing all the grief.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back