Plaster, Paint, Wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
afternnon all

Recently converted the garage into a new room, the walls are plastered and the first coat of diluted emulsion is on. However the wife now wants wallpaper on one of the walls.

Can I now wallpaper directly onto the wall or would I need a second coat of diluted emulsion to ensure the walls are sealed and if I do wallpaper should I line the wall first, I know it's new plaster but a decorator told me it would be easier to remove the paper at a later date if lined.

Thanks for your help (in adavnce)

Cheers

Michael

Sponsored Links
Your first mist coat should be adequate for papering. If you've got a good finish on the new plasterwork I wouldn't bother lining unless its a very fine finish paper you're using.

If you ever want to strip the paper it'll go back to the mist coat layer so in this case lining is irrelevant, unless you are going over the lining paper with eggshell or similar....... at which stage we're in the realms of "why?"!

Sponsored Links
Hi guys

Thanks for the info. I did give the wall a second mist coat, just to be sure. I will remember and size prior to wallpapering as the wallpaper itself specifies pasting the walls and then apply the wallpaper. Not approached wallpaper using this technique before is there anything that I should watch out for i.e wall drying out to soon, the paper isn't as flexible in movement, etc

Cheers for the help :)

M

The mist coat should act as the size ;) You have the paste the wall paper. It's easy, cut your lengths ready, paste wall enough to cover width of paper, hang dry length strait away, dont worry about the paper being inflexible it soon becomes so, paste next area and so on.. Its a doddle.. But a pain on stairwells :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back