Plaster problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I hope you can help me here.

I have just sold my house and am very worried about the surveyors report. Although nothing came up 6 years ago when we bought the house, I think he will notice some cracks in the plaster around the walls - mainly upstairs.

The cracks appear random, are no more than what I would describe as 'hairline' , could best be described as 'squiggly' and are mainly in the corner of two rooms, right up in the apex.

There are no cracks in the walls, no sign of sticking doors or windows, no obvious signs of anything wrong with the house.

Can I ask the advice of forum members please ?

1) Any idea what is causing the cracks in the plaster ?
2) Will a surveyor look at them and automatically think of subsidence ??

Thanks for your help.

A worried Forum member !

Sponsored Links
How old is the house ?

Older properties do suffer from cracking plaster due to settlement over the years and also the fact that the older plasters (sand lime) will de laminate in other words they loose their bond to the wall.

If you tap the plaster does it sound hollow?

Thanks for the quick response

The house is about 30 years old. The cracks have developed over the last year I would say.

In response to your question - yes, in the places where the cracks appear, it is hollow.

What does that mean ?

Will a surveyor think it is subsistence and condemn me to years of living in a small house !? Arrggghhh

The hollow sound means the plaster has lost its bond to the wall. There is a space between the plaster and the substrate behind.

I wouldnt worry about it to be honest.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back