Plaster srinks apart

50/50 for sealing walls, and 3/1 for tacky coat, i use a roller to apply it to walls,

im using wicks pva,which is what ive used for years

Sponsored Links
IMO if you’ve not sealed this wall before you started, then that’s where your problems have come from.

I had a similar thing happen once (only one crack/slip in the plaster thought). I took the plaster off the offending patch and I discovered the wall behind was still very wet. It must have been a place where I’d slapped on a bit more PVA that everywhere else and it’d not dried sufficiently. Also, the plaster mix I’d been using was quite wet/sloppy which didn’t help the situation.

If you say that it only happens in patches on your wall, then perhaps it’s the same thing. I know you say that you check the PVA’s tacky before starting, but at the risk of stating the obvious, it won’t dry uniformly.

I always seal a wall the day before plastering, and then PVA immediately before plastering. I have the leisure of doing this as it’s only my house I plaster. I know it’s not always practical when it’s a paying job, however, as a professional Wese, I’m sure you should be able to use your judgement as to when it is essential to do an extra bit of prep to save time on remediation later.

Just out of interest, how have you made this job good?

thanks guys

kingandy2nd i myself do like to seal a wall a day before,saves sitting around and waiting for it to dry,literally like watching paint dry lol,

buts its not always practical as you can imagine,sometimes i get customers to do it,knowck em some money off for doing so,

you could be right about it not drying at same rate as well

the way i get over it,is to apply another coat on top,the affected area, just needs to be left for longer till glues goes off a bit more,then its safe to trowel over,just take more care and time,

think it just a case of preparation and sussing out oil based paints on wall as well

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back