Plasterboard Alternatives.

sound realy good :LOL: ;)
i tend to over engineer as well as you know things will be abused

just wonder whats stopping you using battons to support the shelves at the back and sides!!!
you can supply additional support where ever you have blank pannel between the doors going from the front to the back

another thought are the doors recessed or flush fitting
what sort of hinges do you plan on using!!!!

Sponsored Links
I think the plan i have to support the shelves will leave me more room to use the space differently inside. We still haven't really planned how we'll use it more than - "skirts there, shirts there, trousers there, shoes here" - sort of thing.

The doors - the plan was to fit them and the frame flush with the stud wall + MDF panelling. Then, i was going to finish it with architrave (s?) around the edge to match our other doors.

The hinges - i don't know what sort they are called. I guess I'll try and get them the same as the other internal door in the house. What do you recommend? Do i need to think about this beforehand?

this is why i was asking is becase we need to know how thick your doors are[suspect they will be about 19mm if i understand your plans] which will preclude chunky hindges you will possibly get away with normal 3" hinges providing it not wood from the diy sheds as this comes out at 18or19mm thick where as woodyards tends to be 20 or21mm

or a more likely choice would be these placed in a normal hinge position but flush mounted and called flush hinges
http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?Search=1&searchstr=27458

another problem you may have is large thin framed doors are happiest with support on the lock edge in two points to stop them possibly warping
you have about a 1 in 8 chance off large thin[20mm]doors warping without support i talk from experience about this
i make a lot ofthem use of magnetic catches usual one on a door fitted on what ever corner tends to lift this keeps all but the worst warping in check

this is from wood stored indoors at about 20 degrees for months on end

selected the components from wood without twists bows or any other defect

See what you mean about support for the shelf at the back and sides with batons - didn't read it properly.

Yes, this is a good option. Will it really be 100% secure. I'm thinking about a long 4m piece of wood and how it might bend if not fully supported.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back