Plasterboard fixings issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, not exactly a "disaster" but I did get frustrated and I do have a small problem to overcome.

I bought some hangers for my guitars. It's basically a wooden block which fits to the wall with 2 screws (1 top, 1 bottom). There's a hand-like bracket that the guitar dangles from.

My guitars are pretty heavy, but my walls are plasterboard. What I mean is that there is some empty space behind the plasterboard as it doesn't sit onto brick - "hollow" or "cavity" might be the right words to describe this.

Anyway, knowing that the weight of my guitars could be an issue I decided not to use the supplied rawl plugs. I have some that I bought from Focus which I used to put up a curtain rail for some heavy suede curtains. The screws for the hangers fitted perfectly. These plugs are something like these "Easy Drivers" at ScrewFix.....

http://www.screwfix.co.uk/prods/17481/Fixings/Cavity-Fixings/Nylon-Easy-Driver

So, I set about installing them. However, when I tried to screw them into the plasterboard, they simply acted like a drill and just excavated a bore hole straight into my plaster.

I need to repair that damage, and hopefully in such a way that I can still position the hanger there so the repair needs to be strong.

Would it be OK to just use filler, then try a different type of fixing. Maybe these.....
http://www.screwfix.co.uk/prods/11143/Fixings/Cavity-Fixings/Hollow-Wall-Anchor-5-x-72mm-16-32mm

Any advice is gladly welcomed.

Sponsored Links
I would say it will be very difficult to repair your plasterboard to an extent where you can then refix into it, not a problem for a cosmetic repair though.

Are you fixing into a stud wall (timber frame) if so why not fix into the wooden studwork then you can use standard screws and get a real strong fix.

The fixings that you show are commonly known as "brolly bolts" and will provide a better fixing than the first ones that you used. To get them really secure you need a setting tool like this.

http://www.fastfixdirect.co.uk/code...teners&MainCategoryID=8&ProductCategoryID=189

You can screw them in with a normal driver but sometimes they can spin in the plasterboard and you will end up with another big hole :cry:

I would try and use the studwork as a base especially if there is a reasonable amount of weight involved and the objects are precious.

I think the walls are stud-partitioned. I don't think it's a viable option to use the timber as an anchor point because I want to put 3 guitars up - therefore the positioning options will be too limited. The guitars need to be easy to access, not "on show".

I'll continue to look into various options. Thanks.

Hi Roundthebend, maybe you can`t hit three upright joists but I bet you can hit one and maybe two, (think they are called joists ).
If not you can buy rawl plugs that are metal, Im not sure of their correct name but these are great in plasterboard. They work like this if I can explain. If the plaster board is say 15mm thick these plugs are about30-35mm in length, you push them through the hole you have drilled and then insert the little screw supplied, then tighten the screw, this causes the metal plug to start to bend behind the plasterboard, it bends in four places each at 90 degrees, keep tightening and eventually it will be totally flat on the inside of the plasterboard so it is now a solid fixture clamped either side of the plasterboard. You may need a couple for each guitar but I use these all the time.
Ive tried most others and basically they are cxxp.
http://www.rawlplug.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=64&Itemid=34
Found them. They are called interset plugs, Good luck.
Ziggy S.

Sponsored Links
nylon plugs with lugs - fine for pictures, shelves etc. would be fine for a guitar

plasterboard hammer fixings (flat pointed thing the screw forces apart) - heavy duty, fine for shelves etc - overkill for a guitar

easydriver (nylon and metal) - heavy duty - fine for shelves etc (unless they rip through your board (sound like surfing jargon lol))

wall anchor (the collapsing brolley thing) - a permanent heavy duty fixing - big shelves, tv brackets etc (permanent fixing, so it aint coming out without a fight)

screw into stud - best of all... will support anything :eek:

oh and if you make a hole with the easy driver, fill the hole and put a new plug up or down or left or right. If you want it in the same place, you can get wet 'n' fix wich will fill, glue and plug the hole all in one go. But i wouldn't.

And finally, i'm neither a pro, or a screwfix salesman, so please don't sue me if your Gibson Les Paul takes a tumble.. ;)

You can use toggle bolts straight into the existing holes.
Did you use install tools for the original fit, never had a problem with them myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back