plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I,ve searched the forum for an answer but no success.I am going to plasterboard my ceiling and get it skimmed the question is do I use boards with a taper or boards that have a square edge?.Which is better for the plasterer when he skims it.
regards

Sponsored Links
Square edge..and the right way "up".....most are marked thus nowadays.and screwed is easier than nails ;)

i prefer tappered edge boards and its not as simple as just putting them on the ceiling ie right way around, staggered,thickness of board,screws or nails i prefer screws they dont pop as much as nails.

Thanks for the replies,the ceiling is not to bad but has got artex on it and i thought that boarding it would save me the hassle of getting the artex off.

Sponsored Links
i presume your getting a plasterer to skim it? get a price for re-skimming and over boarding and skim, it might save you time and money.

I had artex on my ceilling. I just skimmed over it about 3 years ago never had a problem.

I had to strip the ceilling paper off a few weeks ago as it got dameged when knocking a wall out and fitting a steel. Used a steamer and the plaster is still solid.

Wouldnt have thought there was a need to over board but im sure JB will know the best way..

Mick

same as mick ive reskimmed artexed ceilings and theyve been sound, it all depends on the thickness of the pattern and the condition of the existing ceiling. i think its a lot quicker to overboard and skim, less mess,no waiting around,more fire protection,slight sound insulation and theres less chance of having problems with suction and adhesion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back