Plasterboarding ceiling - basics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've removed the plasterboard off our ceiling and have some large sheets to put up this weekend. I'm going to run the sheets so the long edge runs parallel to the joists - should i cut the long edge of the plasterboard so that the board's long edges butt up and are both screwed in at the joist, or is it ok to butt up the long edge between joists and just screw the edge in at a few noggins ?

Hope that makes sense!
Cheers
Alistair

Sponsored Links
The long edge goes across the joists, you cut your short ends to fit to the middle of the joists,
if you start with a full board on the first row then you start with a half sheet on the second row, like a brick bond.

You fix the boards up, with the long length of the board at right angles to the joist, so say your board was 2400x1200 the 1200 edge would be cut so it goes to centre of joist so you can then fit your next board to that joist where they but up.
You stagger joints as in laying bricks.

Screw board to all joist with screws about 6-8 inch apart.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back