Plasterboarding over RSJ... Skim over?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Straight forward question... straight forward answer, I hope.

Building inspector stated that for covering the three RSJs we have to use either:
1) single fire rated board
2) doubled-up normal plasterboard
3) paint RSJs with fire-resistant paint, then single normal plasterboard

What I want to know is, do we HAVE to do the plaster skim over aswell with all of these methods? And if so, is there any other way we can plasterboard over where the plaster skim would not be required...?

Sponsored Links
BCO never said anything about skim, did he?

First ever visit, when I asked what should be used for boxing in, he said "usually plasterboard and 3mm skim".

When we were visited today (different BCO to our usual) he said about those 3 options and did mention skimming

However, I'm not sure if the skimming is actually a requirement of building regs, or it was only mentioned because most people skim over boards.

In our situation at this point it would be best avoided due to the extra work and potential mess.

Sponsored Links
I fitted a catnic a few weeks back, had BC inspect it and he said once there are 2 layers of plasterboard (staggered at edges) to send a few photo's and he would then issue the certificate.

Well, we say no.. And maybe you can argue it now if your bco says yes.. But he's the one that ultimately issues your cert, so...

Believe it or not, British Gypsum produce a document that states what boards at what thickness for any particular beam will provide what fire rating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back