Plastering advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

House is a semi-detached mid 1950's build.

I have a just been stripping the woodchip wallpaper (and 40 years of paint) off the walls and ceiling of the third bedroom.

As I took the paper off the ceiling down came a layer of plaster with it. It looks like a skim layer as there is still a layer on the ceiling boards (which looks to have been keyed).

Also as I took the paper off the outside wall by the ceiling there was a lot of loose plaster in a band about 2 or 3 inches from the ceiling, some of which came away with the paper the rest you could flick out. Behind some of this was black dust which I've treated as if black mold (just in case). However in the corner the loose plaster carried on down the wall. With little effort I've flicked a bit out and was a little surprised when i saw brick under it.

A friend has advised getting Unibond or PVA and coating the brickwork/ filling the 3inch gap in a think later until it matches the level of the surrounding plaster then get a plasterer in to skim it all.

Does this sound right to people or should something else be done?

I've enclosed tow photo's I've just taken, if they look a bit damp/wet, that's as I've just sprayed with bleach.

Any advise given will be most welcome as I'm a bit stuck until I get this solved.

Simon

Sponsored Links
Are you sure thats not wood along the top? it would explain the reason for the complete failure of the plaster.

Hi 1john,

Thanks for the reply.

No it's not wood, it's plasterboard. I found that out when I tried scraping the mold off a little too aggressively and found pinkish material under the paper.

Simon

Could be plasterboard over timber, perhaps its got damp and failed, maybe it would benefit from being replaced or at least having some further investigation behind it.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

The plasterboard starts at that point, the plaster below it looks to be directly onto the brick.

Simon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back