Plastering over bare chimney bricks in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi :)

I am looking for some advice on what to do with the wall of my chimney breast in my bathroom. I am in the process of ripping off the tiles and replastering the walls to paint.

Taking the tiles off the older walls ended up bringing most of the old wall with it exposing the bare bricks. What is best to do here? Whatever I do it has to be fairly thick to match up with the wall above where the tiles were.

Bearing in mind I am a beginner plasterer (though I am doing the other walls anyway), is plastering or plasterboard best?

Sponsored Links
If you’re going to re-tile then don’t plaster it, especially if your thinking of using large format tiles. Render is best but conventional render will take up to 28 days to dry out before you can tile; use a quick set render. If it’s a dry area then moisture resistant plasterboard is probably your best option unless you want to get a professional in but tile straight onto it, don’t skim or will restrict maximum tile weight which could be a problem with large format tiles. If it’s a wet area use a waterproof tile backer board; in both cases the boards should be mechanically fixed if tiling over, if you just rely on adhesive dot & dab, the whole lot could end up on the floor.

Read the tiling sticky & forum archive posts before going any further, it could prevent you making disastrous & potentially expensive mistakes.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies :)

I don't intend to re-tile this bit, I just want to paint it as it should stay dry round this side of the chimney.

So, out of curiosity, what *could* go disasterously wrong? What kind of mistakes could I make that would be so bad and what would happen?

You could fall off your step ladders break a bone or even worse spill your cuppa! ;)
For starters!
Lots of things can go wrong, you could make a right mess of the plaster work not, prep right not level, flatten, smooth off right.
Mostly cosmetic stuff, providing your chimney is ventilated.

The easiest method for you, if you have never base coat plastered before, would be to dot'n'dab or batten out plasterboards.
If it is only this corner that is damaged, remove all plaster from walls and work off a bare surface.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back