Plastering times

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Going to give plastering a go but before I do I want to make sure my times are roughly correct.

Pva the wall 4:1 - allow to go tacky

1.Apply first coat then flatten straight after

2.Wait 20 minutes

3.Apply second coat (slightly thinner) and then flatten out straight after

4.Wait 30 minutes

5.Flatten wall with splashes of water

-When would I use a stronger mix of PVA?
-Do I need to give the wall a dry shine after plaster has set?
-Can I plaster over bonding compound that’s been up for a month?
- if I dig out Deep cracks and fill with bonding then scrim. Do I still need to scrim before plastering?
- is there any preconditions I should take when plastering over a wall that had wall paper on? 90% of paper removed just a few stiff solid patches.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
1701232767200.png

No set times, depends how fast/slow the plaster starts to go off. Test by placing finger tips on surface, shouldn't be to tacky.

Hello,

Going to give plastering a go but before I do I want to make sure my times are roughly correct.

Pva the wall 4:1 - allow to go tacky

1.Apply first coat then flatten straight after

2.Wait 20 minutes

3.Apply second coat (slightly thinner) and then flatten out straight after

4.Wait 30 minutes

5.Flatten wall with splashes of water

-When would I use a stronger mix of PVA?
-Do I need to give the wall a dry shine after plaster has set?
-Can I plaster over bonding compound that’s been up for a month?
- if I dig out Deep cracks and fill with bonding then scrim. Do I still need to scrim before plastering?
- is there any preconditions I should take when plastering over a wall that had wall paper on? 90% of paper removed just a few stiff solid patches.

Thanks

Kirk a plasterer with a you tube channel recommends SBR over PVA

If you’ve never done plastering before you need to buy some multifinish and practice how to use hawk and trowel (watch plastering for beginners to help).

Plaster is very sloppy and getting it on to the trowel then onto the wall without dropping it is really quite difficult.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back