Plastic or copper pipe for radiators in concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Am new on this site and am unsure as to what heating pipes would work best -am building a new kitchen extension and am planning to lay the concrete floor next weekend-will have one radiator in the extension -my query is whether I can useplastic pipe rather than copper and bury this along the side of the wall in the floor-

If I useplastic pipe,does this need to be protected by an exterior plastic tubing - or is it OK to put this straight into the floor before I lay the concrete - advice would be appreciated here as I am a novice- ( for my reasons I woudl rather useplastic than copper -

Thanks

Tony

Sponsored Links
for water pipes it's fine just to use plastic but test the pipework before laying in concrete. Gas can only be copper or tractpipe (and protected).

Dangermouse

Thanks for your reply - looks like I will be using plastic pipe as its for water heating system for radiator

Do I need to protect the pipe with exterior tubing or not ?

Cheers

Tony

Sponsored Links
No you don't need to protect the pipe in any way although it is a good idea to apply aluminium tape to the surface to make it detectable with a pipe finder. Adding insulation to the pipes is also a good idea, although not absolutely essential, but it'll stop the heat warming your floor rather than the room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back