Plastic plumbing query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Sure this is a very straight forward question but I'm just not familiar with plastic plumbing pipes. Just had new extension built and in a utility space where intended for there to be a washing machine and dishwasher the first fix plumbing has just left a waste pipe sticking out of the screed and a white plastic cold water feed that is sealed at the end protruding into the space by say 15 cm from wall. What do I need to get to allow me to connect both appliances to this feed?

Thanks on advance

Sponsored Links
Hi

Firstly you need to identify the pipe used. There is more than one manufacturer and while most will fit together non will accept responsibilty if you mix them.
Then a trip to the plumbers merchant for pipe and fittings not forgetting the inserts.

HTH

Ok thanks. Useful to know. Ill ask the plumber that did the first fix. Presumably for any fitting extending off the feed you turn mains water off, cut end off and fit. I only ask as the way it's capped off, i.e quite a soft thin cap made me think that there might be a novel fitting just to go straight on that makes the penetration as you tighten.

With these questions you're seeing how little I know about plastic pipe work?!?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
I only ask as the way it's capped off, i.e quite a soft thin cap

A photo would be a great help, the way you describe the cap sounds more like a dust cap rather than a stop end.

A dust cap is normally just slid onto the pipe and will not hold if water is turned on, likewise it can simply be slide off the pipe, a stop end is much more bulky and requires the collet to be released to be removed.

Dust caps are often blue or red (but not always)

If that's the case, it will either be isolated elsewhere or not connected into the existing supply. If you are unsure, I would get the builder / plumber back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back