Plastic push fit plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would you have to earth bond from pipe to pipe if using the plastic push fit joints ?

Sponsored Links
ie, copper pipes & plastic joints.....if so...yes

ie, plastic pipes & plastic joints......if so....no

ie, plastic pipes & copper joints......if so.....I dunno (kiddin)

It was just an after thought, kitchen and bath going to be re-done, bought plastic pushfit and copper pipe, then suddenly realised......... :oops:

il78

Straight from the horses mouth......

I have contacted the IEE this morning to check the bonding regs.

The regs on bonding say that there is only a need to bond extraneous conductive parts (a conductive part liable to introduce a potential, generally an earth potential and not forming part of the electrical installation). It can be argued that if copper pipes are joined together with plastic joints and connectors, they cease to be extraneous conductive parts.

In the case of a plastic water main, main earth bonding must be carried out where the plastic joins the copper (on the metal!!)

This is how I understood it too.

Sponsored Links
So......Mr Plumber comes in....see's a nice copper pipe which is bonded...happy days he thinks, I'll just cut into this and join it to that pipe there (i dont why...i'm no plumber) which is connected to another pipe through a plastic push fit.....this pipe then runs over the joists where Mr Electrician has put his cables (it happens), when the pipe gets hot it slowly melts through the insulation straight onto the live conductor....the pipe then becomes live...but sits and waits for their prey........

As Mr Plumber picks up both ends of the pipes, suddenly without notice.....it stikes...killing Mr Plumber as the electricity burns across Mr Plumbers heart turning it into mush......

Now granted...I dont like plumbers...but what I would hate more is trying to resuscitate one.....

But as Ban says " I Will Not Look For Logic Within The IEE"

Nowhere have I ever said that I agree wholeheartedly with the IEE Regs.

I'm just stating what they told me!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back