Plastic underground drain - can it be painted?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to replace part of a drain using the standard underground brown 110mm plastic pipes and fittings. The end of one of the fittings will protrude above ground where it connects to a downpipe. I could leave it as it is, but I'd prefer to paint it black to match the downpipe. Does anyone know if it's OK to paint these brown plastic components?

I don't want to do it only to find that the paint won't adhere or, worse, that it chemically reacts with the plastic and eventually damages it.

Sponsored Links
yes, you can paint UPVC. I find you get a good result using a non-drip solvent-based gloss in a single fairly heavy coat, brushed smooth, with no primer or undercoat

I did these brown pipes and this meter box over 15 years ago. They are exposed to the weather and have gone a bit dull but it is adhering well.

View media item 1563
View media item 1564
Make sure it is throughly dry and hardened by exposure to the air before you cover it with earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back