Please help me assess my wiring/heating

Sponsored Links
Hi everyone, thank you all so much for your replies thus far, all very useful and insightful. So, we've established that this is a real botch job. What I do know is that I had a letter from Southern electric last year / 18 months ago stating that they would be replacing the teleswitch - is this bodge down to them as I would expect them to install correctly, if so I want to know whether I should be getting in touch with my provider for a moan. From what has been suggested is this something that a well qualified sparky can do and is allowed to do, or as there have to be connections into the teleswitch I have to go through my provider?

Sorry for all the questions.

Dom

Sponsored Links
What I do know is that I had a letter from Southern electric last year / 18 months ago stating that they would be replacing the teleswitch - is this bodge down to them as I would expect them to install correctly,
Very unlikely - if they were just replacing the switch or meter etc., that is exactly what would happen - old one removed, new one installed in the same place. Meter changing people generally don't have the time to do other things, and even if they did, are probably not trained or allowed to do so anyway.

Do you only have 2 storage heaters? If so, it is questionable whether E7 is actually of any benefit at all, since you will be paying more for the daytime units than on a single rate tariff.

What I do know is that I had a letter from Southern electric last year / 18 months ago stating that they would be replacing the teleswitch - is this bodge down to them as I would expect them to install correctly,
Very unlikely - if they were just replacing the switch or meter etc., that is exactly what would happen - old one removed, new one installed in the same place. Meter changing people generally don't have the time to do other things, and even if they did, are probably not trained or allowed to do so anyway.

Do you only have 2 storage heaters? If so, it is questionable whether E7 is actually of any benefit at all, since you will be paying more for the daytime units than on a single rate tariff.

Thanks, thought that would probably be the case. Yes, only have 2 storage heaters, a 3kw plus a 1.5kw, now that I have some better baseline data on my usage when the heating is on I am going to do some cost modelling on the different tariffs to see where things lie. Currently I just need to know that a decent sparky will be able to remedy the botched installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back