Please help me identify this "greenery"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some odd looking, almost alien, "greenery" on my not very green garden. I've killed all the grass with weed killer and the only thing that survives is a) the weed I hope to be rid of (Horsetail) b) moss (I know I need to use iron phosphate to treat and c) this other weird stuff.

The photo shows a 10p for scale. Very low lying fleshy "leaves" that seem to matt together and grow where the soil is often wettest during rain. It responds to weedkiller for a week, then seems to recover.

I could just dump soil over the top to block out the light and hope it doesn't grow through, but I'd prefer to know it has gone before I re-sow grass seed.

full

full

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
A quick search on-line suggests it might be a type of Liverwort.
Have a google and see what you think, still at least they are not Triffid seedlings!
Good luck with the Marestail we had it in Bromley the roots go down for ever, we visited Chislehurst Caves and the guy there reckoned they sometimes saw roots in the cave roof!:eek:

Last edited:
Yes looks like liverwort of some type. Weedkiller will not really affect it but moss killer would. To be honest turning the soil over and adding something to imporve drainage like sharp sand will soon get rid of it.

Thanks for your responses folks, now I have read up on this plant it is unsurprising to see that it likes that same conditions as moss, it grows in the same place, and can be treated in a similar way. I must have very poor soil here, all the rubbish seems to thrive!

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
Not getting at you but liverwort growing on flower beds or bare soil means no one has gone near it in a few months. Whilst damp shady areas make it thrive so does neglect...:mrgreen:

Now you just need a Bacon tree. Ah! No it's an ambush!
Sorry feeling a bit silly today!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::)

Not getting at you but liverwort growing on flower beds or bare soil means no one has gone near it in a few months. Whilst damp shady areas make it thrive so does neglect...:mrgreen:

Yup, both statements are pretty accurate! I've taken the scorched-earth (glyphosate) aproach to starting again with the grass in the front garden. Which is both damp and neglected!

Nozzle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back