Please help me understand my heating system!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've just moved into a house with a Baxi wood boiler in an external boiler house. This feeds two 1500L accumulator tanks which in turn feed both the hot water and the water filled radiators. The pipes and valves leading into the ground to and from the house are unlabelled and I'm trying to get my head around where water is coming from and going to - so I know how I can turn off the hot water and the heating in the summer!

I'm attaching a diagram (can't take a photo as the side of the tank is 1 foot away from a wall.

I hope I've annotated it enough! Black lines are pipes.

Regards
Stephen

boilerdiag.jpg

Sponsored Links
where's the boiler?

are your degrees fahrenheit?

Are you sure your diagram is correct? How do you know the pipes in the ground are connected that way? Do the letters represent things you do know or want to know?
Are you sure that the accumulators total 3000 litres?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying guys.

The boiler is a Baxi Solo Innova 50kW. It's situated behind the accumulator tanks and feeds them directly. I'm sure it's 3000 Litres these things are big.

To answer the questions

I've checked and the diagram is correct
It's degrees Celsius - values are when the boiler is hot
I can see the 5 pipes going into the insulated sheaths into the ground (and then to the house). The two boxes at the bottom are the ground - sorry that wasn't clear. I guess they could merge underground.

I have no idea even which is the hot water and the radiator feed and why are there 5 pipes? Basically, the letters are there so someone can go 'Ah, A is the hot water feed'! (Please ignore I and J - no idea why they are still there!)

Regards

Stephen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back