PLEASE HELP, washing machine tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Hotpoint WM51 FE800 washing machine that I've just moved with me to a new flat. It was working fine before transit but now keeps tripping out the main breaker. I've opened her up and tried have disconneced the motor, waste water pump and water valves but still the breaker trips unless the machine is turned off or disconnected. :evil: Please help.

Sponsored Links
Has the cable got damaged in transit? Is the socket you are using ok with something else plugged in?

When you say "the main breaker" I have a feeling that you mean an RCD.

Did you have an RCD in your old house?

No the cable and socket are fine.
Yes it is an RCD but not sure what was at the old house. Strange how the ring main breaker is not tripping but the main breaker is. Can that point towards a short down to earth and not an overload. It will swicth back on for a few 2/3 seconds when the washer is connected and trip again. Considering the motor, waste pump and water valves have been disconected from the motherboard. What do you think. :confused:

Sponsored Links
You have probably got a split load consumer unit at your new house. In this case it will have an RCD which provides Earth Leakage protection to several circuits. Each of these circuits will have an MCB which provides overload and short circuit protection.

The RCD does not trip from overloads
The MCB does not trip from earth leakage.

That's why one trips and not the other.

Most likely you have water in the electrical parts of the washer causing the earth leakage. Or you might have chafed wires touching the case. Or you might have a badly worn motor. Or you might have a damaged flex. Or you might have an incorrectly wired plug. Or you might have something else wrong with it.

If you did not have an RCD at your old house then the earth leakage could have gone unnoticed.

Consider the cost of having your washing machine repaired and compare it to the cost of buying a new one.

yeah your confirming what i was thinking. Considering its knocking out the rcd without the motor, pump or valves connected i'm thinking it may be a broken timer switch. Any ideas.

chafed wires, damaged flex, badly wired plug, water in electrics.

One more component to check that is the heater.Disconnect spades or plug to eliminate.It is possible in transit unless the machine has been kept upright all of the move that the residual water at the bottom of the tub may have found its way up to the electrics at the top of the machine.

check to see if the motor is inverter controlled . sometimes motor inverters earth leak in their circuit and therefore thr rcd protection rating needs to be upgraded

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back