Plinth Heater Pipework Run

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I am planning on fitting a Smiths SS5 hydronic plinth heater in my kitchen.

The central heating system currently only has a radiator in the living room and the rest are upstairs. The tails to the radiator downstairs are in 10mm microbore. The radiator is at the opposite end of the living room from the kitchen. Running pipework from this radiator/pipework would be difficult due to both the distance and layout of the room.

The boiler is in the kitchen and is quite close to the area where the plinth heater is to be fitted. The flow and return on the boiler are both 22mm and leave the boiler and go up into the ceiling above it. It would be much easier to tee into these pipes and run the pipework for the plinth heater the short distance down the wall and under the units. My only concern is that chopping into the system so early (before the pump) on these 22mm pipes and running the pipework across the top of the door and down to the plinth heater (which I have read is very restrictive) and then back up (the whole height of floor to ceiling) for the return may pose problems for even flow throughout. Would it be able to push the return flow back up?

Does anyone have any experience of this and whether or not I should tee into these 22mm pipes? If I do, what is the best size of pipework to use for the plinth heater both to keep flow equal and provide the plinth heater with enough heat?

Cheers for any help
Ray :?:

Sponsored Links
You don't say what boiler or system you have.

If the heating is from a MV you need to connect after that.

Certainly it will be no good tee'ing in before the pump, as doitall says it will have to be tee'd off the radiator circuit somewhere.

Good choice of kitchen heating though :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back