Plug in fluorescent fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone seen one of these before?

plugin.jpg

Its in the kitchen of a house I'm quoting on. If you can't tell from the picture, its a standard fluorescent fitting which is then plugged into the bayonet light fitting.

My initial thought was that it would no longer comply as I understood plug in adapters were generally frowned upon, but then the argos site has this which seems to be a more modern replacement.

Given that I now see no reason to insist/suggest it is changed (apart from aesthetic/taste reasons :LOL: )

Anyone disagree? I will see if I can open it and inspect the internals but given an insulation resistance test is unlikely to do it much good is there any other test that I should be doing on it?

Gavin

Sponsored Links
YUK! argos used to sell these, exactly like the one in your picture. Hideous. Do everything you can to try and accidentally damage it :LOL:

Are you sure that the old fitting in your picture is double insulated?

Not seen one in a good long while, but not the first :LOL:

have a look at the lampholder for any numbers ad see if you can google some design specs for weight..

as long as it can take the weight, i can't see why you shouldn't treat it as a lamp..

Sponsored Links
Looking in the regs, flex can carry quite a weight, so I would have thought that this would be no problem in a batten l/h....

These are, to my knowledge, DI.

for the amount of light it puts out, and the cost efectiveness of it, just suggest that they change it for a CFL lamp about 100W equivalent..

or tell them that you're going for a cup of tea and that it would be better as a normal bulb when you get back..

what they put in after you leave is up to them... :evil:

If its a manufactured item and not a diy item then chances are it is certified already by the manufacturer, being a plug in job it is not covered by the scope of the regs that you are concerned with.

yep,

well the job is an old dear who likes it, so I will check it out and see if I think its safe - in which case she's the one who has to look at it every day :)

So this is effectively the first generation of 'compact' flour lamp I guess..

How long ago were they on sale in Argos?

Gavin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back