plug sockets for worktop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a beech effect kitchen with shiny black worktops and splashbacks to match ( I know I know scratchs, polishing etc <sigh>)
I am looking to install black switches but have come across a minor dilemma in that I am unsure whether to chose gloss or matt or flat.
The ones I am looking at are:

http://www.astra247.com/ProductCata...etail.aspx?ProductID=1804&ProductStyleID=2378

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/87037...-13A-2G-DP-Sw-Skt-Blk-Ins-Matt-Blk-Angle-Edge

or

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/34494...;jsessionid=HILILNNB2TQPECSTHZPCFEY?ts=90362#

I have no idea what astra247 are like to deal with or if there is better out there but this is what I have found so far.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What do you mean by "better".

Better manufacturing?
Cheaper?
Easier to clean?
Works well with your Ying and Yang?

What do you mean by "better".

Better manufacturing?
Cheaper?
Easier to clean?
Works well with your Ying and Yang?

By better I was refering to astra247.com I've not had dealing with them before. I'm looking for suggestions with socket choice as to what goes best with a gloss black marble effect worktop and splashback where the sockets are mounted in the splashback itself. sorry this wasn't clearer.

I've no experience with the supplier or with black sockets. All my clients have MK white or flat face metal.

I'd get a sample and see what the finish is like and test the surface. Sockets that have daily use (so there is constant pluging in and out) tend to get scratched on the face over time. Make sure the coating is up to the job.

As for choice then gloss black to match the stone, and will you be making sure all the appliance leads and plugs are black to match ?

If the kitchen is dark, or has loads of silver in it, having more generic Chelsea c/plated might be easier, cheaper and are common supply products from most retailers. They will also blend with white plugs and white appliance lead cables better.
Have you also considered having a lower splash back and setting the sockets in to the wall ?
Stone based splash back with pre cuts for sockets and switches are expensive.

Sponsored Links
Brushed will be more practical in a kitchen, as the polished chrome will show up every trace of grease
That's OK - it'll help draw attention away from the dreadful greasemarks on his gloss black worktops :LOL:

Tazz - seriously - if you're actually going to use your kitchen for what it's for, i.e. a place of work for the preparation of meals, rather than just sit on chairs in the doorway and admire it, then gloss black worktops are going to look seriously awful - you couldn't have made a worse choice if you'd tried.

Stone based splash back with pre cuts for sockets and switches are expensive.
As bad as glass?

I was considering glass splashbacks for my kitchen (not gloss black ;) ) - I could just about convince myself it was a sensible spend, until I factored in £40 per hole for accessories...

Just remember that flat plates will need a bit more room behind them, 35mm as opposed to the 25mm 'standard' back boxes.

lots of helpful comments thanks.
I hadn't really concidered silver but its an option that'd match the unit handles.

I'm going to try find a good size quality glass worktop protector and a decent chopping board probably in wood or something black. is there a good place to look for these? we were looking at some nice ones at lakeland that didn't seem too expencive but there wasn't much choice.

Re the flush sockets the back box is into the wall but there is 8mm of spashback so with slightly longer screws there shouldn't be an issue. it's what looks best. the flat sockets were only in matt, the ones I found.

I'm going to try find a good size quality glass worktop protector and a decent chopping board probably in wood or something black. is there a good place to look for these? we were looking at some nice ones at lakeland that didn't seem too expencive but there wasn't much choice.
Chopping boards, of course (try John Lewis).

Trivets for hot pans, indeedy.

But other than that worktops shouldn't need protecting - they are worktops. If you can't use them as such then you've chosen something unsuitable for use as a worktop......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back