Plugged appliances and fuse spurs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I firstly do apologise if this has been covered a thousand times. I've read some posts but needed to fully get my head around the facts.

I am due to move house on Saturday and the house is a new build.

Currently all of my appliances are plugged appliances (fridge freezer/ washing machine) the kitchen in the new house has different wiring.

From what I have read it seems I have fuse spurs or flex plates installed ( white box the size of a socket with a fuse horizontally across the middle?) And I will need to hard wire my appliances to them? There is a switch on the wall above the bench for all of the appliances available.

I'm not fussed about Warranty as I bought both second hand when I moved in and they just have to do until I can afford to replace them (who knew buying a house was so expensive...)

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
AJ

Sponsored Links
Providing the appliance has a correctly rated fuse in the plug, there is no reason that those fuse connection plates cannot be changed to socket outlet plates.
If what you say is true, very strange set up!
I understand having above worktop isolation for plugged in appliances, especially if those appliances are integrated in to the kitchen units, but to have fused flex plates is a bit over the top.

The builder may have provided flex outlets instead of sockets as a flex outlet alllows the appliance to be closer to the wall than it would be with a plug in a socket.

Sponsored Links
A couple of pictures might help clarify things, but it sounds as though somethings out of kilter.

In the old days, sockets were above the worktop, and you had to drill a hole through the worktop, and feed the wire through, and refit the plug, then they started fitting plugs underneath the worktops, and you had to pull the appliance out to switch it off. Nowadays, there should be a switched spur above the worktop, and a single socket below it, and this arrangement allow you to switch off the appliance easily, and from your description, you've got the switch above the worktop, but there shouldn't be any need for any type of fused unit after the switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back