plugs keep melting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
been to a mates where he is having an unusual problem with one socket which keeps melting the plugs he plugs into it. This has only recently started happening. Its a single socket in the kitchen.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Sponsored Links
Worn out or cheap socket making high resistance joint with the plug pins. What is he plugging into this socket?

After the first time of heating, the sockets connections will have got hot and softened, causing an even worse connection.
Replace the socket.

This is probably really obvious to you and your friend, but don't use that socket and put some warning notice on it, so nobody forgets.

I only have d.i.y. experience, so I cant advise you further than this.

flyingsparks is spot on. All UK plugs have a fuse in them which produces heat and keeping the plug cool enough is hard enough with new plug and socket especially with finger guards which reduce the heat transfer. Once the plug over heats in a socket it will likely damage the socket only cure is to change socket and plug.

There must be free air around 13A plugs however I have seen plug and socket using inside a cabinet for example an oven and this will overheat as no cooling. Using a 15A plug and socket if on a 15A supply is OK as no fuse in the plug but with a 13A plug free air around the plug is required.

Sponsored Links
you didn't mention what was plugged into it.

I would replace the socket and the plug with a MK or Crabtree
products.

KA

thanks for the replies lads.

He had a dishwasher plugged into it, but it burnt the plug out.

So he plugged in an extension lead and this too got burnt out.

the housing for the socket goes into the wall, , so the socket is pretty much flat with the wall, not sure if this causes problems with the heat and airflow around it

it is very possible that there is a loose connection in the socket which causes overheating.

As well as replacing the socket,any copper wire inside the backbox which has been discoloured by heat needs to be cut back to fresh bright metal. It may be necessary to crimp on an extra length, which needs a ratchet crimper (not the sort sold in Halfords) with an insulated crimp of the correct size.

If this is needed, it may be cheaper and/or better to find a competent local electrician than to buy the special tool and learn to use it.

And of course - all done with the power TURNED OFF.

It may be necessary to crimp on an extra length, which needs a ratchet crimper (not the sort sold in Halfords) with an insulated crimp of the correct size.
You could also use terminal block, solder, wagos or any other acceptable method of joining wires.

We had a similar problem with a plug for the dishwasher. The dishwasher was plugged in behind the built-in units and only accessible through a cupboard. All of a sudden the dishwasher kept tripping and the fuse went. The inside of the plug was scorched. There was a tiny bit of moisture in the plug still.
My theory was that the socket and plug were behind the units on a colder outside wall. Moisture could condensate inside the plug and cause it to short and trip. I changed the plug and - unlike ericmark suggests - I taped the plug as much as I could to "seal" it. The problem seemed solved. Heat was not a problem

And of course - all done with the power TURNED OFF.
And proved to be dead using approved testing equipment ;)

As the above have mostly all mentioned, high resistance on socket plate.
Replace socket and strip back any damage insulation and burnt conductors, so bright copper. If the conductors are then a little short terminal blocks rated at 32A can be used to extend with same sized conductor as existing in socket.
I can only assume that design of the circuit to this socket has been done correctly.

We had a similar problem ...
The inside of the plug was scorched...
I changed the plug ...
The problem seemed solved...

Heat was not a problem
bth_89.gif

thanks for the replies lads.

Solved problem, it was a loose neutral connection in the socket! changed socket, problem solved.

Also bathroom light was not working. Checked light, fine, but no power. So opened up pull cord switch and the prat who fit it did not bother to fit a screw holding the Neutral wire in place. Yes, it was literally placed in the neutral connection with no screw!!! unbelievable!

Another odd thing, when he turns on light switch to stairs, the TV goes off lol! I wont even bother checking whats causing that!!

Goes off or loses the signal ?

If on but no signal then suspect an amplifier, probably in the loft supplied by live and switched live of the stairs lamp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back