plumbing a toilet to stack outside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to plumb my first floor toilet through the outside wall to a stack.
Question is do i just use standard 110mm soil pipe throught the wall from pan connector to a 90 deg elbow or does it need to go into a branch to have vent above?

Also the shower wast needs to connect into it at some point. Do i connect thig onto the branch or boss pipe. If so, is normal 32mm waste pipe ok to go through the wall and be external or do i have to get something special.

ONe last thing, what the difference between black and grey soil pipe?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Is there, was there an existing stack there before?

connect waste into the boss on the branch pipe (if you use one) or with a strap on boss (that you locate yourself) be carefull where its positioned due to the toilet flush sucking the water out of the shower trap.

Grey and black - same stuff

Shower waste should be 40mm.

thanks
40mm shower waste it is then.
No there is no existing stack. It is a new bathroom running down the outside of a new extension.

so there is another vented stack serving the property? - if so you may get away without a vent but i would stick with the branch (with bosses) and a vent to be on the safe side.

Sponsored Links
no there is no other stack.
The ground floor bathroom had a toilet before being ripped out and the kitchen now goes into this and runs under the concrete floor.
all other plumping is new as we currently have no bathrooms! (hence joined the gym to use theres)
thanks for your help.
Do i use soil pipe to go throught the wall and then an elbow?

use 110mm through the wall then go directly into a branch, with the vent going up and obviously the soil pipe carrying on downwards to the underground drainage system.

use one of these and tap the shower waste into the bosses (they are positioned to prevent induced syphonage effecting the appliance connected to them).

http://www.fascias.com/en-gb/dept_28.html

and use one of these to connect the shower waste to the branch (you can get solvent weld versions as well)

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101624&ts=77942&id=15481

You will probably need to install this or this below the branch as the shower waste will be lower than the toliet outlet, the branch will push (or glue, depending on what one you use) into the top of this.

Also if there are any windows close to the rising vent part of the stack, you will need to make sure the top of your stack is a metre above the top of the window itself to prevent unwelcoming pongs wafting in.

Lee-King, well done :oops: as he says use the bossed coupler if the waste is lower than the branch, which it will be if the WC is going straight into the branch at the same level :D

Forgot to mention that you should have rodding access, I'd had a hard day and was tired :oops:

This or this should be something that you would need to install.

Thanks for all your help. THink i know what i am doing now but will just check.

The toilet will come out the wall with 110mm soil pipe. I shall then connect this to an elbow to take the waste a few feet to the right (as there is a window bleow the toilet) where is shall connect into 92.5 deg access branch with a vent pipe going up to the fascia level.

Just below this the shower waste will connect to another boss connector and down to the underground waste pipe.

The only other waste is that from the bath. I either have to bring this out the side of the house and run 3m under the toilet waste the the boss with the shower connection or run this through the joists and connect to the shower waste before exiting the building. Can i run such a thick pipe through the joists? They are 47x195 C16 timber.

thanks again

browfish said:
Thanks for all your help. THink i know what i am doing now but will just check.

The toilet will come out the wall with 110mm soil pipe. I shall then connect this to an elbow to take the waste a few feet to the right (as there is a window bleow the toilet) where is shall connect into 92.5 deg access branch with a vent pipe going up to the fascia level.

Just below this the shower waste will connect to another boss connector and down to the underground waste pipe.

That sounds about right to me from what you have described.

browfish said:
The only other waste is that from the bath. I either have to bring this out the side of the house and run 3m under the toilet waste the the boss with the shower connection or run this through the joists and connect to the shower waste before exiting the building. Can i run such a thick pipe through the joists? They are 47x195 C16 timber.

thanks again

I'd avoid running the waste pipe through the joists, use your first option and run the waste pipe outside.

I'm not sure if i have understood you correctly in thinking that the bath waste is furthest away from the stack, and as it runs towards it you will be tee'ing the shower waste into that before bossing into the stack?

If you are tee'ing the bath waste in with the shower waste (1" 1/2), it would be best to run 2" waste on the outside and tee the bath and shower into that. It can sometimes make the trap gurgle or even totally syphon it of water when the wastes are tee'd in together, Running them outside and tee'ing them both seperatley into the 2" waste pipe will prevent this.

Make sure the bath waste pipe has rodding access on that 3m run.

Thanks for that Lee-King

Bascially looking from outside the house, the bath will exit on the left, the toilet about 1500mm to the right of this (above a window and the shower about 1500mm to the right of this

I shall have to take the toilet out the wall and run it to a stack on the right. Below this junction, the shower will join a boss on the right and the bath to a boss on the left.

Can i get black waste pipe to match the soilt pipe, else i shall have the white bath and shower wastes on the outise wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back