Plumbing and heating - please help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Excuse any ignorance (and the story) as I am new to this but was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.
I recently had a new (smaller) emersion tank fitted in my hot press along with a new bathroom,however have had a few problems since. (unsure if linked or coincidence) At first it was great as it didnt take much to heat up the water etc compared to before but then i noticed that the cistern in the toilet seemed to be overflowing and the tank in the attic sounding as if it was constantly filling up. (Attic door is above bed so can hear it thoughout the night) This carried on until the overflow in the toilet became boiling and cold water in taps becoming boiling and eventually stopped. The water in the toilet turned a brown colour along with the shower. The water was also coming out of the front of the house through the overflow pipe from the attic - again the water was boiling. During that night there was a very loud noise coming from attic. it sounded like an engine and turned out to be the hot water tank on top of the cold tank had started to vibrate causing the noise. I turned off the water and fidgeted with the stopcock and cleaned the filters in shower, taps etc and this seemed to sort it out.
This was ok for a couple of weeks but the same problems are occurring again. - There also seems to be a lot of condensation in the attic now.

Sponsored Links
Toilet overflowing, adjust ball valve inlet.
If the toilet is overflowing & is fed from the tank in the loft, then you will be getting the tank in the loft continually filling.
Then I think you have another problem with the imersion & hot water. Let the experts sort that for you.

Thanks, thought as much. I think it is that the new tank is too small or plumbing doesnt suit which is why there is extra hot water hence the rest of the symptoms but will adjust it for the toilet and get the professional. Just go the feeling it been a shoddy job in the first place and that is why i am having these problems so was hoping that someone would have an incling so that I at least sorta looked like I knew what I was talking about. lol Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
sounds like the immersion is running all the time so could b a faulty thermostat on immersion so the hot water is expanding up the expansion and into cold water storage tank and heating it up and overflowing at same time
does it happen when imm. turned off?
if no , get thermostat replaced (they about 10-15 euro) any sparks or plumber would do it for ya

The obvious answer is to call back the installer of the new cylinder as he has clearly not done the hjob properly.

There could well be two or more faults!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back