Plumbing in a washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone

I'm changing the location of my washing machine from the kitchen (next to the sink) to under the stairs. The distance is about 3.5 metres from the sink waste and the waste pipe will have to be cut into the wall behind the kitchen units.

The water supply is not a problem as it's possible to run the hot and cold direct to the washing machine but I've been told that the washing maching will not be able to pump the waste that distance. I'm hoping this is not the case.

Does anyone have advice or suggestions?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I've been told that the washing maching will not be able to pump the waste that distance. (3.5 metres)

Twaddle. :D

As long as you get a 3 inch fall you will be ok. The pump only pumps into the standpipe you will be using.

3.5 metres should be ok without using an AAV :D

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought it sounded a bit dodgy and they want to take the easier way out.

What's an AAC by the way? I've looked again and if I run the pipe around the kitchen it's going to be 4m max.

Cheers.

Air Admittance valve which you can fit on your waste pipework in the event of syphonage probs.

Sponsored Links
Just a quick point to check.

What exactly is it that going to be 4m long.

The hose off the machine or the actual waste pipe. This could make a difference.

Rico

Just a quick point to check.

What exactly is it that going to be 4m long.

The hose off the machine or the actual waste pipe. This could make a difference.

Rico

That's a good question. Either the waste hose will need to be about 4 metres long as it has to travel behind all the units in the kitchen. It can then be plumbed into the the waste trap in the sink. Alternatively the waste hose could be 1m and plumbed into a new waste pipe that runs behind the units.

Why would that make a difference?

Cheers

Hi Dave,

I need to refer you back to Bahcos' post then.

If it is the flexible waste then the mahcine will struggle to pump that far.

If you make if the standpipe waste then you would have no problems providing you get the fall correct as your macine only has to pump to the stand pipe, then good old gravity takes over.

Rico

Gotcha!

I'll try and go for a short flexible hose which leads to a waste pipe (at an angle) and straight out the house.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back