Plumbing question for Side by Side fridge-freezers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have a Samsung american type fridge-freezer, or another brand with an externally mounted water filter?

Mine came with a large plastic water filter which needs to be fitted in between the fridge and the water supply, and requires replacing at set intervals. Where have people had theirs installed though? The manual doesn't say much about its location, but being behind the fridge means access will be difficult, plus its size will require the fridge to sit around 3 inches forward from the surrounding cabinets. Currently no plumbing has been installed for the fridge but will be carried out just prior to installation, with a copper pipe running from the cold water supply at the other end of the kitchen.

Sponsored Links
SOunds like a really good design :rolleyes:
Back of an adjacent cupboard perhaps? You can get catering grade flexy hoses to connect between the filter and fridge so you can get the fridge out if necessary. You'd have to identify the connector sizes though. Fair chance they're 1/2" or 3/4" bsp, as eg found on shower heads and garden taps respectively.

Hi, the fridge came with a length of 1/4" plastic piping and a metal tap connector. The connector goes to wherever the tap will be installed. The pipe then fits this, and connects to the back of the fridge via the water filter.

But if you're going to put the filter somewhere else you'll need another connection, between the filter and the fridge.

Sponsored Links
Exactly - why couldn't Samsung fit the damm filter somewhere it could be easily accessible!! :mad:

Do you know if this 1/4" plastic piping is easily available from normal DIY shops?

The stiff plastic hose is usually at least 10ft long, I fit the filters in an adjacent carcase, just run a 15mm pipe and terminate with a washing machine valve. Filter has its own plastic pipe fittings.

I think this was a samsung, the filter is in the cupboard under the chopping board as it would have got in the way of the draws.

Samsung machines are designed so the filter change light comes on after a set time not the amount of water filtered so even if you don't use the water/ice it will tell you to change the filter :mad:

Jason

Thanks for the swift response Jason - that has cleared things up now. This washing machine valve - will it stop any leakage of water whilst changing over filters? I'd hate to think I'd be mopping up water inside a wooden cabinet each time the filter needed changing. Can you get these in B&Q? If so I may pop down and see if they have once to fit that plastic piping I have.

Cheers.

Naresh

You get a few dripps coming out of the pipes and old filter, just put an old towel down to soak it up.

Yes B&Q do w/m fittings, just take the supplied fitting with you but all the ones I have fitted all had that thread. Ideally you should also fit a check valve to stop water from the fridge/filter being drawn back into the main supply.

Jason

Thanks Jason, yes I will be fitting a check valve too where the plastic pipe fitting meets the copper pipe. :)

I have just had the same problem with mine. the instructions are not very informative at all.
i was also wondering what exactly does it filter, as the water is the same as the stuff that comes out of my drinking tap and that doesn't need a filter, so why does this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back