Plywood and "off-gassing"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm building a bed for my daughter, similar to this: https://www.rhbabyandchild.com/cata...tId=rhbc_prod482278&categoryId=rhbc_cat206019

I was planning to make the sides with plywood panels, but given that it's for my daughter's bed, I'm a bit concerned with the formaldehyde off-gassing from it.

Does anyone know how and where I can get the formaldehyde-free panels in the UK, or how to select the best panels? I've read that WBP ply actually uses a non-urea based formaldehyde, so is significantly less toxic?

I can always use solid wood for the whole thing, but suspect it would make a huge difference to the weight, a fair bit of extra work, and more risk of the individual pieces in the sides cupping over time.

Any thoughts or guidance would be welcome...

Sponsored Links
What you need to look for is materials manufactured to EU standards class E1 or E0. The levels of free formaldehyde in boards made within the EU at levels of formaldehyde class E1 are thought to be insignificant. This is because at these levels the resin is fully reacted (polymerised). E0 is an updated version of E1 with much more stringent standards requiring formaldehyde emissions to be equal to or less than 0.07ppm (E1 is less than 0.75 formaldehyde parts per million (ppm)). Boards sourced from the Far East and China are, however, a bit more of an issue in terms of whether or not they actually meet the EU standards

Thanks for the info. I'd read something along these lines online, but would I be able to specify this kind of detail with a timber merchant or would I get laughed out of the door? I have a Lathams nearby, which I've heard recommendations for before, so I might give them a call.

FYI If I remember correctly you get more formaldehyde off-gassing from a tomato than you do from EU standard boards - I looked into this while I was considering making some stuff for my little boy from MDF.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back