Poblem with my woodturning lathe(s)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My lathe got jammed by my inexperience with the chisels and afterwards fails to start. Pressing the ON switch just buzzes slightly at the switch but does not operate the lathe.

I bought it ages ago on eBay and have used it several times OK, but of course have no recourse to the seller. I then noticed almost the same model on offer at B&Q so bought one on a whim. Lo and behold, the same problem out of the box! So I am wondering if I am missing something obvious (like, I dunno, some reset switch somewhere for eg).

Trying to find a pic of one so you can see which models I am on about. The latter is a B&Q own brand one.

Anyone else experienced this problem before? Its a long drive to the store to return it so anything I could try first would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
un plugor isolate machine

have you tryed rotating the chuck by hand !!!

have you tried opening any gear casings and looking to see if anything looks out of place gears pullys belts
just a general look as it sounds somthings jamming

try disengaging any clutches belts or gears to isolate the problem to a smaller area

ok re read you post again so my sugestion probably not applicable

but would suspect the faulty lathe you bought was returned and sold to you
and the same will probably happen again if you take it back

ask them to trythe replacement before you buy it to see what they say ;)

i wonder has it an induction motor, i had a twin grind stone with one, had to switch it on and wait for it to get to a working speed (but what do you expect for a tenner

thanks for replies. Have checked all for jamming, slipping etc. Given that it stopped working when it jammed I wondered if it had an anti-jam mechanism which had become permanent. If so, a) its not in the instructions and b) the new one is suffering from the same problem. I'll take it back tomorrow. Ho Hum. What do you expect for 45 quid?

Sponsored Links
I have seen this problem with the Clarke lathe before. The on off power switch is an electro magnetic switch with two sets of contacts similer to the points on an old type car/motorbike ignition system if they are not set correctly or are pitted the electro magnetic switch with not remain engaged when you take your finger of the button. Strip the switch and clean the contact points with a fine piece of sandpaper. the buzzing you hear is probably currant sparking accross the points, which will only cause more pitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back