Pond - Electricity supply help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any help or advice please.

We are installing a pond at the end of our garden.

To put a supply of electricity to the pond pump & filter we have bought the following:

Weatherproof Switch Box 4 Way - (according to the brochure - Ideal for pond pumps and aquatic equipment. Fully weatherproof, 4 switched outputs (750W + 3 x 250W). Individual power-on indicators and integral mounting plate. )

1.5mm 3-Core SWA Cable 25m - (according the the brochure - 25m. BASEC approved 3-core (6943X) galvanised Steel Wire Armoured Cable. Black PVC sheathed. Harmonised core colours.)

Gland Kit Ext - Suitable for SWA and PVC cables. BS 6121-1. - Kit contains 2 glands, shrouds, lock nuts and earth tags.

RCD Adaptor - A quick way to protect many tools. Prevents electrocution from damaged cables. 13A max load. Trips at 30mA. Active operation.

OK - right now the next part and what I actually want to know:-

ONce we've fitted in the pump/filter etc we will wire in the weatherproof box.

Weatherproof box to inside house using SWA cable.

SWA cable to electricy supply ? We would ideally like to just plug into a plug socket rather (using the RDC adapter) than into the main electricy junction box. What will we need to do to attach to a plug onto the SWA - from what I have read online I assume we can't just attach the plug onto the SWA cable - what will we need to do?

Is there anything else I should be doing?

We will most probably get a sparky in to double check everything, but wanted to get most of the leg work done beforehand

I'll try my best to answer any questions

Sponsored Links
If you are getting in a sparky, get him to do the connections. You can't do half and half and expect him to just 'have a look'. No sparky should sign off on work he didn't do. You can dig the trench but the rest should be done by him.

If you are going to go down the notification route then read on, if not just get some more quotes and start digging :LOL:

You can't terminate SWA into a standard plug. Since the load is low fit a fused spur (5A) from a suitable socket. From the fused spur run 2.5mm to a metal adaptable box. Terminate the SWA into that and then run the SWA to the garden.

Assuming the circuit you are connecting to is RCD protected you don't need the RCD adaptor, if the circuit isn't RCD protected you need one of these.

I take it you havent got the kit yet?

only the ones i have seen its all done for you (almost) and as you said it just plugs in

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back