Poor lead flashing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
image.jpg
image.jpg
7E9708B3-2818-48FB-B279-C28A58C434A5.jpeg
Hi, I’ve just got my lead flashing replaced above my porch bay and bay window and I’m not sure whether it’s a poor job or not as I don’t know much about roofing. The lead doesn’t reach the edges of the window or porch. The roofer said this wouldn’t affect it being watertight but when I look at everyone else’s, it does go over the edges. Does anyone know if this is right?

Also, instead of stepped lead above the door, they did two straight pieces which look off centre and I was told the reason for this is because it wouldn’t protect the right side properly if it was dead centre and straight lead is better than stepped lead. again, can anyone advise if this is right?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
image.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi, I’ve just got my lead flashing replaced above my porch bay and bay window and I’m not sure whether it’s a poor job or not as I don’t know much about roofing. The lead doesn’t reach the edges of the window or porch. The roofer said this wouldn’t affect it being watertight but when I look at everyone else’s, it does go over the edges. Does anyone know if this is right?

I'm neither roofer, nor lead worker, but that work is terrible. Any 12 year old could have done better. Did you feed his horse whilst he did the job?

No point in inviting him back to do the job properly, he obviously lacked any skill with lead work.

I'm neither roofer, nor lead worker, but that work is terrible. Any 12 year old could have done better. Did you feed his horse whilst he did the job?

No point in inviting him back to do the job properly, he obviously lacked any skill with lead work.
Same from me. Sorry to say, the work above the porch looks terrible with the window not far behind. I'm hoping those on here involved in that trade can at least tell you the work is sound enough in terms of repelling water etc, however I have my doubts.

Thanks both. Glad I’m not crazy in thinking it’s a poor job!

Sponsored Links
As a sometime lead work contractor (did a number of large projects for old p s a) and I've taught leadburning I can assure you that leadwork is truly dreadful.
Should have been correctly stepped then neatly dressed back that looks like it's been hit with a random lump of wood.
I take it they left there horses tethered outside?

The big question - have you paid them yet? If you have, then it's too late, you will not be able to find them. If not, then offer them the scrap value of the lead. It will all need to be done again, but properly by someone who knows what they are about.

I bet they use semen as patination oil - because thy are W******:ROFLMAO:

Blimey that is rubbish.

Did you use one of "those" sites to find the guy?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
I'd consider my own lead-work average at best....
What you have stuck to wall of your house does not even qualify as poor and it's not in a particularly difficult zone nor is it difficult to do correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back