porcelain tiles in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm having my bathroom fitted and need to pick some tiles. I have some questions which I hope someone will be able to help me with and help me make the right decision. Currently there are some ceramic tiles on the walls where the bath is, and around the sink and loo. For the refit I am thinking of having large porcelain tiles about 8mm thickness in the entire bathroom. I think they were 25 mm x 50 mm in size. The reason I want a slightly thicker tile is because I want to use some mosaic tiles as a border around the bath and these are almost 1 cm thick.

Are the porcelain tiles too heavy for stud wall/ plaster board wall?
Is using the mosaics going to be more hassle? Have my heart set on these particular ones, but if it's going to cause a headache.....
Also will it be a problem fitting the shower with porcelain tiles?

I don't know much about tiling so sorry if the questions sound stupid! :oops:

Sponsored Links
No not stupid at all; you’re asking standard (if not repetitive) questions but at least your asking! Too late now to go into detail tonight but, if you see this, have a look through the Tiling forum Sticky & archive posts where you will see my endless ramblings on such things but they should answer some of not all of your questions. I’ll have another look tomorrow & come back specifically.

Thanks Richard.

I did check through previous posts, but just wanted some further reassurance, so I don't go making a big mistake. Look forward to some further info from you.

Arps

you will also find it difficult to fit the fixtures and fittings onto porcelain tiles if your not experienced (drilling can be very tough).

use the correct drill bits.

Sponsored Links
I assume that’s 25cm x 50cm & not 25x 50 mm? Check the weights specifically but you may need to go to a decent tile backer board for that size/weight tile; your better using that in a wet area anyway, plasterboard really should be tanked in wet areas. Unplastered PB will take 32 kg/sqm but plaster will only take 20 kg/sqm & that’s including 4 kg/sqm for the adhesive/grout; powder adhesive only for that size tile.

Porcelain tiles are not really any more difficult to lay but some need sealing before laying. They can also be harder to cut with a manual cutter so best to have a wet diamond disc cutter on hand; drilling can also be a bugger as stated.

Yes that was meant to be 25cm x 50cm.
Thanks for all the info. It has been helpful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back