Porcelain Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of using porcelain tiles in the bathroom ,walls and floor.
Any tips on best practice and adhesives would be most welcome. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Check weight restrictions in respect of wall tiles. Porcelain being denser is heavier usually. Also, use adhesive suitable for porcelain ie:- polymer modified to bond to the tile. They're also harder to drill - will need diamond drill bit for pipes possibly.

With the tiles I bought I asked the builder/tiler about tanking he said no need just PVA even where the power shower will be , this is a p-shaped shower bath with an Aqualisa pumped shower.
I am rather concerned that he does not consider tanking essential. Thoughts and comments welcome. :confused:

Sponsored Links
bloyal said:
With the tiles I bought I asked the builder/tiler about tanking he said no need just PVA even where the power shower will be
builder/tiler speak with forked tongue.

man say he is tiler; this man is tiler.

bloyal must listen gcol.

gcol speak heap good sense.

the Tiler is cowboy

if you want a Boss job done ...get a tip top geezer in ...
Im off the tools ...

but as this is a big Project /job ,
get Tiler recommends ...
or get quotes
as I have said if a tiler is sat at home when you call in the day ...why?
ALL Good tilers will turn up with an attitude , there are in demand , they will show you loads of past works/pics an many give hundreds of telephone no,s of past no1 jobs( ring a few an see )

Tiler will give full details in quote ,
an terms ...to safeguard you an him

be prepaired to wait a week or two for him to book you in ...
hope this helps :)

btw this above was my USP /Unique Selling Point back in the 90s .
which grew my biz that I sold last year ...:)

I'm new to the forum and here because I indeed had a shower tiled by an obvious cowboy 4 years ago.
The wet room was obviously not tanked and subsequently the tiles have fallen off and the plaster behind was wet. The plasterboard is not damaged but the tiles have pulled off the skim.

I have done a little investigating into tanking but have some questions I would like to pose you guys here:

1, Is tanking a DIY job? I am fairly competant and have tiled before.

2, I have noticed that tanking kits generally come with a sealer for plaster, is this the best or should I PVA the plaster prior to this sealer?

3, BAL seem to state that tanking can be put ontop of tiles. Tiles have only come off one wall. Would it be advisable to remove all remaining tiles on shower walls or will tanking prevent moisture causing others to fall?

4, I have seen on this site that EPOXY grout is the only true waterproof grouting. Is normal waterproof grout enough if tanking has been done?

Sorry for such a long winded enquiry but I am very annoyed that the job wasn't done properly first at a cost of £500 for 1.5x1.5m power shower enclosure... plus tiles :( :(

Please start a new topic for your new enquiry - as a newbie you could be forgiven for not knowing that this is a rule. In practice most people will ignore posts on a stale topic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back