Porch within 3m square

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks, I am planning to build a porch (at the front of the house) within 3 sq metres - the main reason for this is to save time waiting for planning permission. I know this limits the internal area but I dont want to wait for 3/4 months (to get permission) before actually starting the work on it , as the porch itself could be completed in 3-4 weeks (I hope!)

The house already has a boxed porch (155cm x 65cm) with an inside door and an external door leading out, this existing porch actually goes in/eats into the space of the house from the external wall.
The new porch (211cm x 142 cm) added on top of the existing boxed porch would help have an inside area of 174 cm (l) x 155 cm (w) in which we can build a tiny WC/maybe wetroom style tiled shower space.

I wanted to ask people with experience of this - what is the process to go about it? I dont need an application but do I need to send council anything? Someone I know only advised me about getting someone from council to check the depth of the footings etc but is there any other paper work I need to submit for such a project? Any advice in this direction would be appreciated.

I have more questions but this is the starting point so wanted to get some clarity. Thank you

Sponsored Links
If you keep within the permitted development limits (external ground area and roof heights, materials), then you don't need any further permission or notification from the planners. Its Permitted Development.

Your plan to install a WC/shower room means that building regulations will apply and you'll need to make an application for approval. The extent of what it will apply to - the WC/shower conversion or the whole build of the porch structure will depend on the specifics - the arrangement is not clear from your post

I don't see how you are going to squeeze a cloakroom WC and entrance lobby in a space 1.74 x 1.55m?
Rather than compromise the design for the sake of avoiding planning surely it is better to design something that provides the space you need?

Thanks @^woody^ and @wessex101 .

What I was planning to do is shows below. I just did it so it doesnt go by standards of a floor plan. Its using 174 cm (l) x 155 cm (w) inside area. so the 25cm cavity walls are in black while internal stud wall is in white double lines.

I know its going to be pretty tight - the only reason I am against the permissions is the time it takes (not the work or cost that goes into it). Due to personal reasons I need this built by early July. If I were to send a planning application I probably wont have an answer by then. I really could use the extra space - ideally I would apply for a 2.4m x 2.0m porch to get a toilet and shower in with some decent space to stand/put coat hooks/shoe rack in.

In the light of what @^woody^ said, it seems I would need to put planning permission application anyway :unsure:

A friend suggested I could put my personal reasons for needing the additional toilet downstairs in the application to try and get a decision soon - however I am not certain this would work.

Any thoughts? Not sure what an application would entail apart from floor plans/elevation drawings

2023-05-02_16-34-19.jpg

Sponsored Links
The cloakroom WC/shower will need a wash hand basin. The internal wall is suspiciously narrow. I don't think you will get a 250mm thick external wall to meet the insulation standards.

Also I think you might be mixing up Planning Permission and Building Regulations consent, Woody mentioned both but they are separate applications. You might get away without Planning but you will need Building Regulations although if done on a Building Notice Building Regs need not cause a delay.

A small porch may not be a contentious planning application. It might be worth considering building the larger porch without a planning application and submitting a retrospective application if you get caught or submitting an application for a larger porch and starting work before the decision is made. It's risky but if you really need it built by July these are options to consider rather than building a tiny porch that will feel cramped and useless.

thanks @wessex101 , I had considered toilet with basin on top of cistern. I didnt mention it up there. Anyhow, I have been deliberating over it and a friend also suggested the same as what you are saying.

The above would have been 1.42m (w) x 2.1 (l) porch. I am now going for a 2.4m (w) x 2.2m (l) porch. Going to start the work and put the application side by side with the hope that it is approved.

I have started an online planning permission, although still need to do the elevation plans, fill CIL form and buy site plan and block plan. I think that is all thats required....?

Please could you elaborate on: you will need Building Regulations although if done on a Building Notice Building Regs need not cause a delay.

A friend suggested I could put my personal reasons for needing the additional toilet downstairs in the application to try and get a decision soon
Ignore your friend. Planning decisions and process are not based on personal reasons.

You really need to make yourself aware of your council's specific local planning polices before you start an application. Basically, does their policy allow you to build what you want in the way you want. It's not just a case of submitting something and seeing if they like it.

Ignore your friend. Planning decisions and process are not based on personal reasons.

You really need to make yourself aware of your council's specific local planning polices before you start an application. Basically, does their policy allow you to build what you want in the way you want. It's not just a case of submitting something and seeing if they like it.

yes, I am not sure either if something like this would help expedite the decision, however I feel there might not be any harm in mentioning why the need has come about for a WC/Shower downstairs and that I will appreciate a decision as soon as possible.

Honestly, in terms of planning policies I am not aware of a lot. However what I can see is that two houses to the left of mine have built porches, which are bigger than 3m2 but were done maybe 15-20 years back. All other houses to the right or in the row opposite (except one) dont have a porch. A few have got side extensions , one of which (opposite side of road) had applied for a side extension + porch last year, the porch part was refused citing the following:

proposed single-storey front projection to the two-storey side extension beyond the line of the existing front elevation wall to the property would be visually prominent and intrusive in the streetscene and public views along the road and would be harmful to the visual amenities, character and appearance of the area

My worry is starting the work alongside the planning application, in case it is not permitted. It is a row of semi detached houses with the two left of me (that have porches) set a bit to the front as compared to my house and the others to my right (none of which have a porch) which are all set a little back.

Any pointers/suggestions?

Link above doesnt work for me :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back