Position of thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Might aswell ask this here...

We're almost ready to have the central heating system connected up to the boiler and will be arranging to have the new guy back to fit trvs, connect pipework to boiler, flush the system, balance rads, etc.

I need to install a wired programmable thermostat. Though it is more inconvenient to install I do prefer wired so batteries do not need to be worried about in future.

But I can't decide where to locate it. There seems to be two schools of thought on this regarding placing in hall vs placing in lounge, and I cannot determine what is best.

We don't have a hall but do have a small lobby with a small radiator that can have the trv left off. It could go out there, and I do imagine that it would be a cold area. Concern might be that because it is so small it would heat up relatively fast, cutting the boiler out before the rest of the house has warmed.

In the lounge there are two radiators. One small and one medium. There's also stairs, and a 3-4ft opening to the kitchen/diner which has a very large radiator. The easiest place to put it is in the centre of the house downstairs, as it is right below the boiler upstairs so minimal wiring needed. We can also leave the trv off the small radiator. Problem is it would be just over 1ft to the side of the small radiator, and just under 2ft above the radiator (both measured edge-to-edge). Is this too close for the thermostat?

There are other possible locations in the lounge but they are almost all external walls (which seems to be advised against, same as placement in kitchen/diner). The only other place in the lounge that is an internal wall and not near a radiator is on the stud wall between the lounge and lobby...

Sponsored Links
You have already asked this in you other thread!

I would always say put the stat in the lounge if you hang out there.

On any modern house there is no reason not to put a stat on an outside wall.

You can always fit TRVs on rads in the thermostat room and then leave them on max.

I would usually use one TRV in a thermostat room with two rads.

But a thermostat should normally be at least 2m horizontally from any rad.

Tony

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/boiler-installation-problem-what-to-do.439846/page-11#ixzz3oXw5Zmfv

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back