Possible? Adding new light and switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add some under wall unit lights into the kitchen which has one main light and one wall switch.
Ideally i would like to replace the light switch with a double switch to independantly control the original main light and the proposed new under unit lights.
I have checked at the switch and no neutral.
Would i be able to wire into ceiling rose of original light?
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Would i be able to wire into ceiling rose of original light?
Probably. You'd just need to replace the switch drop wire with 3 core and earth cable. This will take a live, neutral and switch live to the switch. Then you can tap off at the switch for the pelmet lights.

I hope you're not fitting those ghastly halogen shadow-makers.

One way or another, you need to get another supply from the light to the switch.

Alternatively, install a seperate switch and supply it from the ring main via a FCU (fused switch) fused at 3 or 5 amps.

Sponsored Links
Well this sounds alot easier because i already have a single socket directly under the switch. Is it just a case of putting new twin and earth cable, connected colour to colour, from the socket up to the switch and then onto the lights?

The switch would require a permenant and durable label to the effect that it is supplied from two locations, and that both must be isolated before work begins.

And you would need a fuse in the run between the socket and the switch.

You might as well use an FCU as the fuse AND switch, next to the existing switch if this is what you desire.

If the lights are going under cupboards you are better off adding an FCU at that location to switch them on and off, otherwise you are looking at quite a bit of new wiring.

Whichever route you take, this is electrical work in a kitchen and is notifiable. See the info in the WIKI about electrical work and the law.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back