possible change of plans?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My neighbour got planning permission and I think they are changing the layout. In the plan submitted that got permission, there will be a first floor extension added to the original house. The main part of the extension is a large bedroom, the original bathroom on the side of the house to the rear will be enlarged.

However, at the front of the house one of the bedroom windows has been changed to a opaque window which would normally be used for a bathroom. I know recently they had work done plumbing wise on the clockroom which is underneath the bedroom where the window has been changed.

I think they are due to start building soon and I think they've started internal work already. The question is: If planning permission has been granted is it only for the plans that were submitted. Or? are they allowed to change the layout once they have permissoin ?

Sponsored Links
They can change the layout internally without planning permission provided the house is not listed or other oddity. The planning approval deals with the extension not the rest of the house anyway.

The works inside will be subject to Building Regulations approval if applicable though.

How does it affect you?

As stated, they can change the internal layout as much as they like, it doesn’t affect any planning permission that has been granted for extension. In fact they don’t have to apply for PP to completely change the internal layout as long as the property isn't listed & the work complies with & is subject to Building Regs approval. They will not be able to change the external appearance unduly, move or introduce new windows especially to the side aspect without at least submitting a minor amendment; any radical changes will require a resubmission.

I’m also interested to know how their internal layout inconveniences or affects you :?:

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, question answered, I was just clutching at straws as this extension (berlin wall) will be a pain in the rear for us. Never mind I will have to get used to it and I can always by a nice climbing rose to hide most of it. Again thanks View media item 32358

I can now see that your real beef is over the extension. I assume you objected when the site notice went up? It’s very common for extensions or any sort of building works to be greeted with strong neighbour objections but the fact is that 90% of them are based on “I don’t like it” mentality & are not valid in terms of planning law & permissible development.

Is the 2 story bit new or were the original properties build staggered? That alone would be enough for me & the single story extension goes back a lot further. got to admit I wouldn’t like to look at it so you have my sympathy; it’s the main reason why only my first ever property was not detached. I now have ½ acre & space on all other sides with only one detached neighbour & a farm on the other side. But would you believe a couple of nearby neighbours in the same road (one cant even see me) objected to the PA I submitted to drag a 60’s property into the modern ages but it was all based on emotion & change aversion so didn't make one iota of difference & it sailed through. On the positive note you could always build out to match; your neighbours precedent will almost certainly mean it will sail through. Or sell up & move on. ;)

The original buildings werer staggered, the ground floor extension with the scaffold round it was built in 2000, before we moved in. I did all the right things, I had the support of my local parish council and local district councillor. I hired an independant planning advisor. Not all neighbours at the rear of the property were notified.

Two side extensions in our street were used as examples and photos used to aid the planning application without those neighbours permission. Both neighbours disagreed with the case officers views.

The planning notice was moved to the neighbouring property.

The house next door was used as an example, saying that they had an extension so both plains that were crossed did'nt count - but it was not an extenstion but a conseratory.

The applicant stated it was for his wifes businness, but at the next meeting the old plan was replaced with one not showing layout of a large bedroom and bathroom.

Site visit was canceled first time and we were the only ones not notifyed. All these things were brought to the attention of the planning office and it still got passed.

One day I'll win the lottery and buy a lovely old farmhouse - with a moat!
so if you know of any going cheap let me know. many thanks for your replay

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back